It should have been a warning sign when I looked at July's Golden Tote deals and wasn't really interested in anything. Instead, I waited until August and invested $149 plus shipping for my Golden Tote. I chose two items that I really liked and hoped for good luck with my other items.
I placed my order on August 5, 2014. My Golden Tote arrived on August 25, 2014. Due to the long wait, I called customer service twice, and both times it went straight to voicemail. So, wait - I spent $7.95 for my order to arrive in 20 days? And not reach customer support to discuss it? To be fair, an email from Golden Tote noted that the company was extra busy this month, so maybe this was a fluke.
Okay, so I chose my two main items for the $149 deal, which were great. I feel like they fit my personality and style well. They are pictured below (the top and the dress):
I sent my order through and the excitement built up. Then I waited, and waited, and waited...and when I opened the package that arrived 20 days later, I was so disappointed. I loved my original two choices, but the rest were just...wrong. They were either completely wrong for me or totally uninspired. Pictures of the other items are below. So wait, I paid $149 to get a plain gray open top? Are you serious? Unfortunately, the tote is all or nothing, so I have some serious thinking to do - do I keep the items I chose and try to give away the rest? Or give it all up and try again next month...or maybe not. Note that if you return a tote, your original shipping is refunded but you have to pay for the return shipping and it will take several days for your return to be processed.
Note: All images above are from Golden Tote. Images below are mine.
Below are the surprise items I got in my tote.
So what are the pros and cons of Golden Tote?
- The items to choose from are relatively diverse.
- The pricing points are fair.
- The items are great quality.
- The clothes are true to size (a medium fits a medium).
- Expensive, slow shipping.
- Returns are all or nothing.
- Lots of risk - the surprise items don't seem to truly fit the style profile. And they seem a little random - this blogger chose one of the same items as me and got different surprise items. I liked hers a little better than mine. (Maybe she chose a different style profile, but one of the shirts looks the same as mine but in different colors.)
- All of the clothes seem baggy, which is fair to fit more body types, but not my style.
Would I use Golden Tote again? Maybe. I'm very torn on what to do with my current tote because I love my two original items, and I know I can choose great items again. But the other items were less than stellar.
Want to try Golden Tote yourself? Click here to order and let me know what you think.