Monday, December 29, 2014
You can now listen to music by Yamir! If this sells big, it'll prove that he and Chelsea from 90 Day Fiance made the right choice to come to America because their newfound fame will bring them in a bunch of cash. Listen and purchase here. I'm listening now and it's okay. I'm not super enamored by it but it's okay. It's a heck of a lot better than his freestyle rap on last night's 90 Day Fiance reunion!
Speaking of 90 Day Fiance, how funny was it when the host tried every possible way to say that Mohamed's faking his relationship with Danielle? The thing is, I'm not convinced that he lied all that much in this last episode - he straight up said that he's not really that into her and partially wanted to come to the US for a new adventure. Something notable is that someone (presumably a friend of Danielle's) on the 90 Day Fiance Facebook group said that TLC producers tried to get her to talk Danielle out of marrying Mohamed. And when Mohamed talked about walking out during the reunion special, Danielle said a former friend tried to get Mohamed to leave her. Mohamed said it wasn't like that. That could coincide with the post on the Facebook group - Danielle is probably missing part of the story, if that is the case.
Kourtney Kardashian revealed the name of her new baby! Drumroll please...she went with....Reign Aston Disick. WHAT?!?! Reign like, he reigns over a kingdom? And Aston like Aston Martin? I'm not sure I would have chosen a name that will constantly be mispronounced as Ashton and has the sound of the word "ass" right in the beginning. I guess after Kim named her daughter North because it meant highest power (of which I am not convinced, for the record), her kid had to have a name that means royalty.
When asked if 90 days are enough before a marriage, Mohamed jumped right in. He said people need 90 days to adjust. He also said something about people being judged for wanting to come to the country. This hit a nerve with Daya, who cried and said it hurts to be called a gold digger and ungrateful. Cassia said people feel as if they have the right to judge her - which is fair except that she put her life on TV and opened herself to being judged.
Jason revealed that he and Cassia had only spent 32 physical days together before she came to the states. Cassia said she knew they had a connection, even with the short time frame. Justin and Evelin had 21 days.
Yamir said that he felt that Chelsea would be happy in the US, so that's where they needed to be. Chelsea questioned whether she was manipulative and awful like people said she was, but she knows she did the right thing.
Daya addressed the issue with the ring - she basically said she's okay with the ring being fake as long as Brett was honest about it, and she felt she was being dishonest. She acted out because she was hurt. Brett, in turn, was hurt because of Daya's actions.
Justin justified not telling his family that he was engaged because he'd never told his family about people he dates. He thinks his family was shocked that he was engaged in general, not necessarily because Evelin was from Colombia. Cassia agreed about Jason being private about his life. Brett said he wanted to meet a woman from the Philippines because divorce is not part of Filipino culture, and he wants that as part of his life.
Next we got to Danielle and Mohamed. Mohamed said it was not love in the beginning because there was not enough time. He said part of the decision to be together was 60% Danielle and 40% doing something new (or something like that). Danielle cried silently as Mohamed said this. Mohamed said he doesn't show affection in public because of his religion. Danielle chimed in - people on social media and in Danielle's family don't think Mohamed loves her. Mohamed said love is bigger than kissing and hugging. He said people use the words "I love you" lightly here (and he said he does love Danielle, by the way). Danielle said not being able to work is hard for Mohamed. He gave up his life to come to the US. He was asked if he gave it up for a new life or for love - he said again that it's not just about love. He rambled a bit more and I think it confused me - generally, it seemed like he came to the US for a change, not necessarily for Danielle.
Danny and Amy discussed why they waited to be married to have sex. Danny said it's because intimacy is about emotional connection, and they wanted that first. Danielle and Mohamed said they also waited to have sex. We went to a clip where Mohamed said "Danielle is acceptable for me". Danielle interpreted it as that it means Mohamed thinks she's beautiful and it's a language barrier that caused that faux pas.
Danny and Amy were asked why they jumped in at a young age, and Amy said, "Why not?" and that they can live the rest of their lives together. Then, the issue of Danny's dad's racism was addressed. Danny and Amy said they continued to want a relationship with Danny's dad despite his closed-mindedness. It turns out that they've changed his mind at least a little and now have a good relationship. They're not there 100% but are getting closer.
The Americans and the immigrants were split to separate couches. They were asked if anyone was here for a green card. Mohamed said some junk about how he can't answer that question because it wouldn't be truthful to say the green card wasn't a factor at all. Brett addressed the fact that no matter what the relationship, people will say the person coming to the states is in it for the green card.
The video of Mohamed visiting an attorney on his wedding day came up. Mohamed said he did it because marriage ties together everything in people's lives. Danielle said she was upset because she should have gone too. Mohamed said he didn't see a problem with the way this went down. Amy said she couldn't imagine Danny seeing a lawyer on the wedding day and it must be hard. Mohamed said the main reason he saw a lawyer was that they're both responsible for everything financial going forward. Danielle admitted she wasn't upfront about finances but they didn't have to do with Mohamed, they had to do with her ex. Mohamed was asked if he's happier now being married to Danielle, he said no. But he said no because he's sitting at home not working with all of the drama in his life.
It was noted that Yamir may have given up the most because he gave up a music career. Chelsea was asked if she felt hypocritical for not moving to Chicago to help Yamir's American music career. Chelsea defended herself by saying they're just starting out and that moving to Chicago can be in the cards, just not yet.
We saw the video of Danielle crying before her wedding as Mohamed debated going through with it. Looking back, Danielle said it was hard because she didn't know what Mohamed was going to do. Daya admitted that she too had cold feet - she felt overwhelmed before the wedding. That anxiety fed into Brett's, and they wanted to make sure they were 100% sure they wanted to go through with it. We saw the video of Brett's mom pretty much telling him not to go through with the wedding, and Daya hearing her say it. Daya said watching the video was hard because in her culture, she has to respect her mother in law, and she didn't realize that her mother had these feelings towards her. Brett said it was hard to deal with the wedge being driven between Daya and his mom.
The host asked everyone - is this really happily ever after? Amy and Danny were asked how their first night as a married couple went. Danny said it was amazing and adds a whole new level of intimacy. He said the practical things weren't simple, but they were told that's something people work on.
Danielle and Mohamed's lack of kissing at the altar came up. Mohamed said if they had married outside of Ramadan, they would have kissed. Mohamed was asked if he moved out when he left Danielle's house. He said he was in a hotel. Danielle said a former friend tried to get Mohamed to leave her during that time - Mohamed said that isn't true. The pair is still together and trying to work things out.
Jason said he loves being with Cassia but guilty when she has a bad day. Justin said the best part was day one of picking Evelin up. The worst thing was seeing her miss her family. Daya said they don't have communication with Brett's mom at this time but time can heal things. Danny said things are good with his dad and he's making an effort with Amy. Yamir said he's working on his music and sang a sample. He did a freestyle rap about the people in the room. It was a bit awkward but he said he was nervous.
Brett closed the session out by saying it was cool to meet everyone and hear their stories. He was happy to be there with everyone.
Sunday, December 21, 2014
Jason and Cassia
- We left off with Cassia being upset because Jason went off with his guys for his bachelor party against Cassia's wishes.
- Jason wanted time to talk to his friends alone. He told his friends he's scared because Cassia is very emotional and he's afraid Cassia will blow up at him.
- His friend advised Jason that getting married is the easy part; he has to realize that he's all Cassia has. He asked how Jason felt leaving Cassia alone, and he didn't feel great about it. He texted Cassia that he missed her. Jason decided to leave and be with Cassia.
- Despite their issues, Jason and Cassia decided to move forward with the wedding.
- Jason seemed to get a mix of resistance and support from his family.
- Cassia worried that she was doing the right thing. I worried that Cassia's wedding dress was ridiculously revealing! Was that a partially sheer dress? Could you see her belly button?
- Jason's dad walked Cassia down the aisle. He seemed so much happier with Cassia than when she first arrived.
- Jason said he felt clarity; he knew he was doing the right thing.
- The pair shared a passionate kiss at the end of a beautiful ceremony, showing that despite everything, they can make this work.
Danielle and Mohamed
- Danielle said she and Mohamed were doing well until her electricity was turned off and Mohamed walked out. She didn't know where he went.
- One of Danielle's daughters said she didn't care if Mohamed came back. She felt as if Mohamed was just using Danielle. (This daughter is cool. She seems very smart and sees what's going on.)
- Danielle talked to her sister Sara, who didn't seemed shocked by Mohamed walking out. Danielle seemed to blame herself and said she needed to be a better person.
- Mohamed came back. He was like a whole other person, and not in a good way. He said he can make his own decisions and he seemed to want nothing to do with the cameras. He seemed very unsure of his decision to be with Danielle.
Chelsea and Yamir
- Chelsea and Yamir's wedding day was here! Yamir's family was able to attend.
- Chelsea's dress, which her mom was making, was not done as the wedding approached.
- Yamir's mother said a blessing for his wedding. She seemed so kind and supportive. His family seemed great. Yamir hoped Chelsea wasn't stressed as he prepared - it was so nice.
- Chelsea's mom had to take on some cooking for the wedding, and Chelsea's dress wasn't done as the wedding quickly approached.
- Chelsea cried because her dress wasn't complete and her mom wasn't there to finish it. Fortunately, her mom showed up at the last minute with her skirt.
- Chelsea and Yamir had a beautiful wedding. They wrote their own vows (hers in English, his in Spanish) and they were so sweet. As a couple, they were so real.
Brett and Daya
- Brett and Daya were on the rocks about their marriage after Brett's mom made it clear she didn't want her to marry Daya.
- Daya cried and told Brett that she won't talk to his mom if she comes to visit. And while this makes Daya look bad in a way, I totally understand. Brett and Daya seem to really love each other, even with the rough start they had with the diamond issue. The trouble seemed to make them stronger - Brett finally realized that others may have doubts, but his decision is only between him and Daya.
- Brett and Daya arrived at their wedding venue. However, Brett's mom decided not to attend the wedding.
- Daya, who had family at the wedding, looked happy as she prepared for her big moment.
- They had their wedding ceremony and they both looked so happy. Cassidy was part of the wedding. Even Cassidy looked happy.
- Brett wished his mom was more supportive, and the pair hoped that one day, his mom would accept her.
- Brett joked with Daya and said he wondered if the diamonds in his ring were real. They laughed - they were now able to laugh about that situation.
Justin and Evelin
- Justin and Evelin ended up having Justin's family at their wedding, despite Jason's initial desire to elope.
- When asked if he had cold feet, Justin said he might when he's standing at the aisle, but at the time he didn't. That's a huge change for Justin, who used to not commit to anyone and didn't even tell his family that his Evelin was his fiancee at first.
- Evelin made her appearance to Justin's family in her wedding dress. She looked beautiful and so happy.
- Justin's mom talked about how happy she is to have Evelin in the family. I absolutely loved this.
- Evelin's dress was lovely - very simple. She and Justin had a lovely, simple wedding. It looked perfect for them. Evelin cried with happiness and she told Justin's family that they are her second family.
- This could seems so, so real. It was beautiful to see them get married.
Next week is the tell all during which all the couples will be together. I can't wait!
Tuesday, December 16, 2014
Why would Mohamed (or anyone) go through all of this marriage madness for his sexuality? Well, the US is a largely tolerant country when it comes to sexuality, and many other countries are not. Coming to the states could allow someone such as Mohamed to live a happy life once he's done with the whole Danielle marriage thing.
I'm not 100% on board with this theory (as there are others on the show that give off a potentially gay vibe that Mohamed does not), but I do agree that there is a business side of their arrangement. Danielle's been scammed before so she kind of knows the deal, which should make tricking her at least a little bit difficult this time around.
Viewers of 90 Day Fiance have noted that in an episode, on camera, Danielle is screaming and crying, but as soon as she thinks she's off camera (she's got on a mic but you can't see her), she goes from crying to very firm with Mohamed. I don't personally remember that scene but there was a lot of buzz on social media about it. So is she really smarter than we think and just putting on a show for the camera?
So how would Danielle benefit from this arrangement? Money would be my guess. She clearly doesn't have any, and Mohamed seems much more concerned with not inheriting Danielle's debt than actually being with her. So is she going to inherit some illicit cash from Mohamed in exchange for this relationship? I would say yes. And she probably did fall for him to at least some degree - she seems to genuinely want to be with him, or at least go through the motions, in a way that he certainly does not.
Of course, this still has gaps - Danielle had posted on social media that she needed sponsors to keep Mohamed in the country because they can't afford it. If Mohamed has money, can't they use his? It's possible that they have to prove how they obtained the money, so Mohamed magically coming up with it wouldn't work...but even with that, I'm not convinced.
Okay, so one more thing - do couples get paid to be on 90 Day Fiance? I think they must, because there must be some incentive to air your struggles on camera. Perhaps Danielle and Mohamed have obtaining the cash as part of their deal - they go through with this to "prove" they're legit and then they split the money and live their own lives.
Whatever the story, I haven't found anyone that thinks Danielle and Mohamed are for real. And I honestly can't see this show helping to prove that they are real. So who knows what will happen? We do know they did get married, but we don't know what will happen in two years.
Do you have a Mohamed and Danielle theory? If so, please share it in the comments.
Sunday, December 14, 2014
Jason and Cassia
- Jason and Cassia went to Vegas to get married. Cassia loved being in Vegas.
- In the confessional, Cassia said it's hard when someone gives up everything to be with someone and they don't try, but now things are working.
- Jason's family would be joining them in Vegas, and Cassia was hesitant because some family members had said unkind things about her. But there's the thing - Cassia's been pretty awful!
- Cassia worried about meeting Jason's brother, who had previously made jokes about green cards. He thought the whole thing was a joke at first.
- Jason's brother had actually sent Jason a movie called "Green Card" in response to their relationship. Cassia called him out on it. She said that relationships like hers happen frequently. Eventually, Jason's brother (and other family members) said they accepted Cassia. Although Jason got slammed a bit in the process - a family member was initially skeptical because they thought Jason was just happy to have a girlfriend, insinuating that he can't seem to get one in the US.
- The topic of the bachelor party came up. Cassia wanted them to have a joint party. Jason didn't want that but Cassia got her way. Everyone seemed to have fun so it worked out.
- Jason drank a lot and got sloppy. Cassia tried to stop him but he wasn't having it. He started getting rude. He told Cassia that he was going out with the boys and the girls weren't invited. Cassia was left on her own. She looked very sad. I don't blame her for that - she's alone in a strange place! I actually felt bad at this point - Jason was being a real jerk and choosing alcohol over Cassia. This is not good! Cassia said she doesn't know if she can get married like this.
- Did anyone else notice that Jason and Cassia's shirts said "I'm hitch, biatch"? Grammar, people, grammar! It would be "I'm hitched". And besides that, they aren't hitched yet.
Mohamed and Danielle
- Mohamed and Danielle's wedding day continued after he told Danielle that he was considering not going through with it.
- Danielle was warned that a divorce is expensive so she better be sure about this. Danielle could not be talked out of the wedding. Danielle's family and friends were clearly unsure about this because it looks like a major freaking scam. Danielle said it's important that nobody objects to this wedding but I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY EVER is opposed to this scammy mess.
- Mohamed said it's hard to get married without family and friends because you have nobody to talk to or get advice from. HELLO, DOUBTS!!! Oh, wait, that's not a surprise.
- Mohamed complained that the wedding was not like a wedding in his country, which is much bigger.
- Danielle was late to the ceremony and Mohamed said he felt weird with people looking at him.
- Mohamed said he had strange feelings when he saw Danielle walk down the aisle. He said he'd never thought he'd be getting married.
- Danielle was relieved that Mohamed was there waiting for her.
- While people were obviously opposed to the wedding, nobody spoke up when asked if anyone had any opposition to the wedding for legal reasons. Mohamed noted that he didn't understand how anyone can object when it's his wedding because it's not up to them. Well, really, it's a b**** move to oppose to a wedding at the ceremony, but there are about 10,000 reasons to be opposed to this one.
- OH MY GOSH. OH MY GOSH. OH MY GOSH. When told they could kiss, Mohamed said NO!!!!! NO!!!!! NO!!!! Why? Because it's Ramadan and he can't kiss in front of people. OH MY GOSH. WHATTTTT??? Is this real? Anyone?
- And from this point on, it was real. Mohamed and Danielle got married. Danielle, who had been scammed before and was broke and jobless, and Mohamed, who seems like he was here for all the wrong reasons, were married. Danielle said she's happy to have someone help make decisions about the kids. But everyone else was concerned and didn't think it would last.
- Mohamed said he felt like he has a few family and hoped for the best. But during this confessional, Mohamed had totally dead eyes. No emotion whatsoever. Wow. Just wow.
Danny and Amy
- I know a lot of people have been in the "Is Danny Gay?" camp, but at this point I actually think he's not and he and Amy are legit. Or at least if he is, he's not aware of it.
- Danny and his brother talked about how Danny would be losing his virginity and now it would be sex all the time. Because you know, that's all marriage is. (Sarcasm.)
- Amy got a more realistic talk - she was told that the first time is quick and not always so great.
- Amy got dressed and had her makeup done and she looked amazing.
- Amy walked down the aisle. Amy had a great smile on her face, but Danny had the weirdest smirk and looked into the distance.
- The pair kissed and it was super tame, but I guess that comes with the religious territory. Danny described Amy as "frickin' beautiful".
- Something awesome happened - Danny's dad gave Amy a big hug and kiss on the cheek. YEA!!!! That was so nice given his racist views - he seemed to finally really accept Amy as a part of the family.
- Danny's brother passed the "sex torch" to Danny. It was actually a torch. Amy looked slightly mortified.
Brett and Daya
- Brett and Daya had been busy looking at apartments, prepping for the wedding and picking up Cassidy.
- Brett worried that his mom was still hesitant about Daya after the ring incident, and I'm sure Daya wasn't thrilled that Brett's mom arrived earlier than expected for the wedding.
- Brett's mom said she was worried about Brett getting married because of all the scams out there.
- Brett and Daya moved into their new apartment. It was close to their wedding but they got it done.
- Brett felt tension between his mom and Daya, and worried that his mom didn't approve. (Duh. She doesn't.) Brett sat his mom down to talk, and his mom said three months isn't enough, Brett needs someone who shares his goals and he needs to stand up for himself. Brett totally stood up for Daya. He said she has the discipline for Cassidy that he needs assistance with. His mom insisted that this isn't going to work. Daya heard everything - not a great look. I'm not saying that I don't agree with the red flags, but it still stinks for Daya. Daya also felt like Brett let his mom say those things and didn't stand up for her, although it seems like he kind of did. Daya cried when Brett came into the room and said that they attacked her and that his mom is just being paranoid. If Daya could hear Brett's mom talking, Brett's mom could hear Daya talking, and I think she did. This is turning into a dramatic mess.
- Brett's mom walked into the room as Brett comforted Daya. She said that Daya was misrepresenting her words. Brett, to his credit, asked his mom to leave the room and give them time. Daya said Brett needs to choose between her and his mom. And while this may sound cruel, Daya's not wrong. Men have to grow up and support their wives. When you get married, your spouse is #1 in your life. You can't let your parent talk smack about them. You have to support them and let your mom know that you value her and her opinion, but she needs to respect your life.
- Daya debated going through with the wedding or not. That was a shame because if the pair decides to get married or not, it should be on them. Not because of someone else's opinion.
What a drama filled episode! Next week looks even crazier - Brett and Daya will figure out what to do, and Danielle will cry about Mohamed leaving a family or something, which is weird because my research has shown they're still together. So we will see what goes down!
Monday, December 8, 2014
Okay, so why am I excited? Because Jana, the eldest Duggar daughter, has stayed home as her two younger sisters got married. All kinds of rumors flew, like that Michelle and Jim Bob are keeping her home to care for the kids and that she wants to hold off on dating until the show ends.
I'm also excited because the phrasing of this article is that Jana and Tim Tebow are dating. DATING. So what, you may ask? Well, the other Duggar kids went through quick courtships. Is Jim Bob letting Jana actually have a normal dating relationship? He's clearly in search of more fame and fortune for his family (wow, alliteration!), so it seems that he's willing to set aside his strict morals to obtain that. Or maybe Jana rejected the whole idea of courtship, and this is Jim Bob's way of still keeping Jana under his control. (Jim Bob has met Tim's mom before and they discussed this match.)
Note that I read a blind item on CrazyDaysandNight.net a while back that said a celebrity dad sent pics of his daughter to a sports star almost daily in hopes that they'd date. Perhaps this was Jim Bob and he's getting his way.
I can't wait to see how this plays out! Note that the football player has dated before, but he plans to stay a virgin until marriage. And both families are super religious, so at least they'll have one thing in common.
Update: I read that this is not true and the pair have not met, although their parents have. I hope something does come of it, though!
Oh yeah, and some random stuff that is totally not related but I have to share anyway:
Here's an article about Danielle from 90 Day Fiance. She's apparently been scammed before, so that makes this whole Mohamed thing even weirder.
Also, Teresa Giudice from Real Housewives of New Jersey is suing her lawyer because she feels she was misled and that's why she's going to jail. Riiiight. And you know what always works well? Suing a LAWYER. You know, someone who knows the law really, really well...and knows Teresa broke it.
Sunday, December 7, 2014
Danny and Amy:
- Amy noted that the time leading up to the wedding is stressful.
- Danny recapped that the meeting between Amy and his dad (who does not approve of interracial marriage) did not go well.
- Amy's family arrived. There were lots of them! Amy worried about them meeting Danny's parents.
- The initial meeting seemed to go well, with Danny's mom being nice and his dad appearing to be quiet.
- Danny made a speech to everyone, thanking Amy's mom for raising her and celebrating their families coming together, even if some people were hesitant.
- Danny's mom said she'd treat Amy as a daughter, but Danny's dad seemed ready to write them off. He said it's not too late to get cold feet.
- Still, when Amy's mom discussed the old tradition of dowries and what Amy would be worth, Danny's dad laughed and everyone got along. And he seemed to open up to Amy.
Justin and Evelin:
- Justin took Evelin on a hot air balloon ride as a surprise.
- In the balloon, Evelin said she wants Justin's mom at the wedding. Justin agreed!
- The pair sat down with Justin's mom and told her she'd be invited to the wedding. She was so happy. Still, Justin's mom pressed for more family members to be invited. It worked though, because Justin realized he did want to have his family at the wedding.
Danielle and Mohamed:
- Mohamed went to see a lawyer to understand what would happen when he married Danielle, given that she doesn't have a job.
- Mohamed was advised that if he doesn't get married, he has to leave the US. He asked how long until he can get a green card. Mohamed was told it takes a long time because of immigration fraud. Additionally, the spouses have responsibilities to each other in relation to property and debt. He was advised that the could be held responsible for anything Danielle does post-marriage. Mohamed said he had to think about whether or not he should get married.
- Mohamed thought about going back to his country. He said on his phone that he never wanted to come to America and he doesn't know what to do. Danielle was hysterical, saying that people came out that day to see them get married. Mohamed said he's stuck and this is the biggest decision he's ever made.
- Danielle cried and said it's not fair what he's doing, waiting until the day of the wedding to decide. And at this unfortunate moment, the episode of 90 Day Fiance ended. Not cool. (SPOILER: It seems they did get married. I also saw a rumor that Danielle is pregnant but I tend to not believe that...or at least hope it's not true. I also read that they sleep in separate rooms 'for religious reasons' even post wedding, so we don't really know what's true.)
Chelsea and Yamir:
- Chelsea planned for her wedding. Her dress would be comprised of a lace top from Nicaragua and a skirt her mom would make.
- Chelsea talked to her mom about what the music producers told Yamir when he visited them - he doesn't stand a chance if he stays in Chelsea's small town. Chelsea was concerned about money. Chelsea's mom told Chelsea to think of Yamir and what he sacrificed to be with Chelsea.
- Chelsea and Yamir planned their wedding day.
- They sat down to discuss their life. Chelsea said going to Chicago is a cool idea but at the time, it felt like rushing. She said it could be an issue trying to stay afloat. Yamir said he was sat and felt helpless. He said he'd spend a year working on his English and doing whatever it takes so they can move to Chicago and he can follow his dream.
Brett and Daya:
- Brett and Daya decided they need their own place so they went apartment hunting.
- The apartment they saw was awesome. Daya was clearly impressed. They decided to go for it.
Jason and Cassia:
- Jason took Cassia to an auction because it would combine work and play. Cassia was bored. She wanted to leave and Jason was clearly annoyed because this is part of his livelihood.
- Cassia got emotional when talking to the confessional about missing her family.
- Jason came out to see Cassia crying. Cassia explained that going to the auction together is not fun, but Jason said it's fun because they're together. I kind of side with Cassia here - her tagging along with Jason isn't fun; they have to do things together. But I'm sure there's a lot we're not seeing off camera.
Thursday, December 4, 2014
Here's what I took away from the show - which is really just some pseudo-quotes and anecdotes:
One girl gets blessed by her mom before big events, saying something about Jesus' blood being on her. That takes a really long time.
One of the Greek dads was just like any other dad - he wished his daughter would cover up and be more domestic, rather than partying.
The show states that many people are related, and one guy said something about a girl, to which is friend replied something like, "ew, that's my cousin."
This crowd has big parties with a distinctively Greek edge, like they break plates and throw napkins and money or something.
I think an underage girl was drinking and called the cops, therefore getting herself in trouble. Okay, then.
We saw people fighting, people making out, people flirting...drama, drama, drama.
I have to say - I can see why the Greek community was concerned about this atrocity of a show. But like anything else, if people understand that this is reality TV (and therefore not real) and depicts a very particular subset of the Greek community, it can be watched for entertainment value only.
Monday, December 1, 2014
Here's a quick recap of 90 Day Fiance:
Jason and Cassia:
- Jason and Cassia went to the beach. Jason noted that he took Cassia's concerns seriously about not spending enough time together, so he changed that.
- Cassia was shocked that people weren't in bikinis like she's used to.
- Things look much more positive for the pair; Jason even turned off his phone for a bit (he's attached to it), but Cassia was still concerned.
- Cassia said no way to Jason going out for a bachelor party. He tried to convince her but she said it's not part of her culture, so it's a no.
Justin and Evelin:
- Justin talked about eloping but Evelin wasn't loving the idea - she thinks it's important for Justin's mom to be involved.
- Evelin went wedding dress shopping with Justin's mom, who loves her and think she'll be a good influence on Justin.
- Evelin got emotional talking about missing her family.
Danielle and Mohamed:
- Danielle and Mohamed came up with a less expensive way to have their wedding. They will go to the courthouse to get married, then go for Mohamed's working visa.
- Danielle found an inexpensive wedding dress that I think was better than the ones we saw in previous episodes.
- Danielle's son said she doesn't think Mohamed loves his mom and he's concerned.
- The pair looked for wedding rings on a budget. They ended up choosing silver rings under $200 each.
- Danielle took Mohamed aside to give him bad news. She let him read the letter she received - she was let go from her job. Mohamed asked why - did she do something wrong? Danielle said they felt she wasn't good enough. Mohamed said she isn't serious about work which is why she lost her job. Mohamed told Danielle he doesn't want to be in this situation and he didn't realize life in the US was so hard. He told the confessional he felt like he was wasting his time. He told Danielle he needs to think about whether or not they should get married.
Danny and Amy:
- Living apart was taking a toll on the couple so they decided to move up the wedding.
- Danny said his mom was very happy about his wedding but his dad would have reservations because of Amy's race.
- The pair met up with Danny's parents. Danny's mom was very happy. Danny's dad talked about race issues. He asked if Amy is ready to be in an interracial couple in America, where it's not accepted. (Um, some of us see no problem with it!) As much as Danny's dad was unsupportive, Danny's mom was very supportive.
- Amy explained that she's from a city, although people think otherwise when she says she's from Africa.
Brett and Daya:
- Daya and Cassia were finally getting a long, and Brett said they feel like a family. Therefore, the wedding plans can move forward.
- They looked at a wedding venue and agreed to include Cassidy in the wedding ceremony.
- Brett had Daya meet his friend Sue, who was skeptical of Daya.
- Daya told Sue she's heard a lot about her and Sue said the same. Daya said she hopes all good things...and then there was an awkward pause. Sue talked to Daya to say this better be real, and Daya insisted that it is.
- Brett had to pack up the car to bring Cassidy home, and he was heartbroken.
- Daya would also miss Cassidy - she said she was selfish before meeting Cassidy, but now she's different.
I hear that Danielle and Mohamed did actually get married...I kind of can't believe it.
Update: They did. See here: http://starcasm.net/archives/295592
Thursday, November 27, 2014
"This half hour special follows the young Greek residents of Tarpon Springs, Florida. In this bustling town, everyone is either dating, related or work together at one of the three feuding Greek restaurants."
There's a petition on Change.org asking for the show to be cancelled or reworked to show 'true' Greek culture. The petition states:
"Growing up Greek" is a gross misrepresentation of what it means to Grow up Greek. What makes us Greek is PRIDE. Pride for our faith, family and each other. This show lessens us to look like Jersey Shore! We have worked hard to not have that stereotype. We are an ethnicity strong in family and Orthodoxy. This show is NOT who we are and we are embarrased.
I totally understand the concern regarding this issue, but I hope the American public is wise enough to understand that Growing Up Greek is a show that is meant to show people in an extreme version of a culture, much like Jersey Shore with Italian Americans.
What's interesting to me about this is that the show, per MTV.com, seems to be only a half hour special. So either the show wasn't interesting enough to be shown as a full series or this is a pilot, which will air to see how people react to it. As much hate as Jersey Shore got, it brought in crazy ratings for the network. And MTV knows all publicity is good publicity, so they are probably loving this.
Jersey Shore was not changed by viewer pressure, but the MTV show about nurses was. So we will see if this petition has any bearing on the future of the show.
Sunday, November 23, 2014
Brett and Daya:
- Daya had her first day alone with Cassidy. Brett was nervous because Cassidy hasn't warmed up to her.
- Daya tried to play with Cassidy but she wasn't having it and locked Daya out of the house. She let her back in quickly, but Daya told Cassidy she was being bratty.
- Brett arrived home and Daya told him that Cassidy has been a brat the whole time she's been there. She said that Brett never disciplines her. Brett said she's here for just a short time and asked Daya if she wants Cassidy's summer breaks to be like jail. Daya insisted that Brett has to learn how to say no to Cassidy. Daya revealed that she was upset that Cassidy isn't warming up to her, and Brett said that Daya has to be patient.
- Daya realized she needs to be open minded and understanding, and took Cassidy to a park and to the lake to swim. They played house, did their nails and put on makeup. Things seemed to improve as Daya started understanding Cassidy.
Danny and Amy:
- Amy called her mom Lorna. Amy was concerned that her family wouldn't be able to attend the wedding.
- Amy looked forward to her bachelorette weekend, in which she'd bond with Danny's family. Danny's family planned the whole thing.
- Amy's mom arrived for a visit. It was a happy reunion for Amy and her mom, especially because Amy's an only child and the pair are close.
- Amy talked about her concern with Danny's father's issues with her race. Her mom told her that when she walked down the aisle in her beautiful dress, any racial issues would fade away.
- Amy revealed that she waited for her mom to arrive before she went dress shopping. It made her mom's day.
- Amy and her mom went wedding dress shopping. Amy found her perfect dress - simple, lacy and no bling. Just her style.
- Amy's mom told the confessional that there's no way Danny's dad won't love Amy when she sees her. Both Amy and her mom are so sweet. I hope she is right.
Justin and Evelin:
- Justin and Evelin prepared for dinner with Justin's brother Jake and his brother's wife, Jen. If you recall from earlier episodes, Jen's opinionated and the meeting did not go well.
- Evelin was being interrogated like crazy. She was asked if she's religious, if she's ever been married, if she has any kids, and if she wants kids (her parents are, no, no, and in two years, respectively).
- Justin said he'd like a private wedding and Justin's brother was shocked that he wouldn't want his family at the ceremony.
- Evelin defended herself and said it wasn't her idea to have their wedding alone. Jake pointed out that their mom would be crushed by not being at the wedding.
Jason and Cassia:
- Jason said things haven't been great since Cassia's arrival. Jason said he had an idea about how to smooth things over.
- Jason pulled his dad aside to talk and told his dad that he hasn't officially proposed to Cassia and wants to do it officially. He planned to propose at the aquarium near the sharks. His dad made a comment about why he is making a correlation between sharks and marriage...that was a not so subtle dig.
- At the aquarium, Jason got down on one knee and proposed to Cassia. People sitting on benches nearby began to clap. Cassia seemed a little tentative at first and then very happy.
Chelsea and Yamir:
- Yamir's time in the states had has its ups and downs, with a big down being that his band was now over.
- Yamir set to work on his music, sent out demos, and got a meeting with an agent in Chicago. Yamir felt a lot of pressure about the meeting.
- Yamir was greeted warmly at his meeting. He did well with his English until he got flustered. He did a singing demo.
- Yamir told Chelsea the meeting went well and the producers liked his style. They said he needs a staff to make it happen, and he'd need to move. He asked Chelsea how she'd feel living in Chicago. She seemed nervous but open to the idea. However, she wanted to settle down after moving around for almost 10 years and seemed hesitant. Her parents made a good security blanket that she'd be leaving behind.
- Yamir worried that he can't fulfill his love for Chelsea and his music at the same time.
Here's a random note about something I researched today. If you google "Bezness Tunisia" you'll find this site. It talks about people in Tunisia pretending to love someone for financial or personal gain, like entry to a Western country. Given what we've seen from Danielle and Mohamed, is anyone thinking this may be a clue? I read on Facebook that the pair sleeps in separate rooms now (post wedding) because of religion (riiiiiight, we believe you, Mohamed!) but that's from a random post, so it's highly unscientific and not definitely true. If you have any insight on their relationship, please share!
The latest round of pro and anti-Duggar banter occurred when Michelle posted a kissing challenge, encouraging couples to emulate a steamy kiss between her and husband Jim Bob. It was a little weird to start out, but things got really bad when Michelle deleted photos of same sex couples kissing. Why? Because her definition of when kissing is okay is when it's between a married woman and a man. So apparently married same sex couples don't count to Michelle, even though they do count in the eyes of the law, and you know, people who are open to allowing people to be happy with who they are.
People are clearly not happy with this situation, and this is shown by a petition asking TLC to cancel 19 Kids and Counting. However, others have countered with a petition of their own to keep the show on the air because Michelle and crew support the idea of traditional marriage.
Here's my take on this situation - the whole thing is complicated.
It's complicated for TLC because:
- TLC just took a big hit losing Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. The network lost a show that gave it millions of viewers; it is logical to lose another show that brings in strong ratings?
- TLC faces a challenge - does the network stand by the fight for rights and equality by cancelling the show, or do they conclude that any show will be controversial in some way, so it shouldn't allow a show to be cancelled because of some people's opinions? They probably won't cancel the show, in my opinion, because all publicity is good publicity, and this issue will probably get them even more viewers.
It's complicated for the Duggar family because:
- The Duggar family stands by their views, and technically you can't tell someone their opinion is wrong. Do we have to agree with the Duggars' opinions? Absolutely not. But us telling them their opinion is wrong is exactly the same as the Duggars telling viewers that their opinions are wrong.
- The Duggars face a decision: do they change their stance on gay marriage (or at least stop speaking against gay rights and such) or do they stand by their beliefs? I think people in a position of influence should use the gift they've been given to share positivity with the world, rather than hate. But the thing is, the Duggars truly believe they're doing the right thing, even if that belief can harm others. In their minds, what they are doing is the right thing. Like with the situation a while back where Michelle likened transgender people to pedophiles - what? It's so wrong on so many levels, but I genuinely believe that Michelle doesn't see that.
It's complicated for viewers because:
- 19 Kids and Counting is a fun show to watch. While I completely disagree with many of the Duggars' views and practices, I enjoy watching the show. However, it's for entertainment purposes only; I don't view the family as role models in any way. Do I give up a show I like because I disagree with their beliefs? I'm not sure.
What drives me a little bit crazy about this whole thing is the things I've read on Facebook and other media. One supporter of the Duggars praised the show, stating that it shows good Christian values and we need more of that on TV. That drives me nuts. Why? Because I don't think we do need more good CHRISTIAN values on TV. I think we should be good people on our own accord; it shouldn't have to be based in religion. And this goes back to believing in the "right" god. What if this was about a Jewish family? A Muslim family? An atheist family? People would be all up in arms because the family isn't worshiping the "right" god and showing the "right" morals, even if their opinions on gay marriage were the same as the Duggars'. It's that kind of intolerance (my religion is right / my morals are right / my religion belongs on TV because I'm in the majority so my views are correct) that breeds hate and problems!
I personally believe that people should be able to enjoy any religion that they would like, as long as they live their lives in a moral and ethical way. Our differences are what allow us to have intellectual discussions and think through complicated issues. However, I believe religion should be used for positive reasons. For example, use the teachings that say we should treat everyone equally and everyone deserves respect. We pick and choose what we take from religious texts anyway; why not focus on the good? Someone who truly wants to make the world "right" or "better" or whatever else should use their influence to make others feel accepted and allow them to be the best that they can be. Isn't it true that many religions teach that we should love all people? So use that! It's not possible to tell someone that their viewpoint on gay marriage or abortion is wrong, however, it is possible to explain that they don't have to partake in things that they don't believe in, but they shouldn't stop others from living their lives. We all deserve an equal chance to be happy, and putting hate out into the universe based on your own beliefs isn't helping anyone.
I really think what TLC should say to the Duggars is this: You have a popular show on the air and we would prefer not to cancel it. However, we'd like you to not spread hate. If you can't agree with this, we'll pull you off the air. We know we can't change your personal beliefs, but we can tell you what our network represents, and if you can't stand by our terms of sharing positive messages, we'll have to part ways.
What do you think of all this? Should 19 Kids and Counting stay on the air?
- The Shine is a nice looking fitness tracker. With a variety of accessories (clip, bracelets, necklaces), there are a many ways to wear it. Just be aware - if you want it to track your sleep habits, it has to be on the bracelet on your wrist.
- There many colors to choose from. From black to red to champagne, you've got your choice of colors to match your style.
- The Shine is waterproof. You can swim in it and everything.
- The Shine has a clock on it so this product, which looks kind of like a watch, actually is one. When you tap to find out how your points are going, after the lights come up, the lights will come on to show you the time.
- The app (Android and iPhone are available) is great. It syncs easily with your Shine via Bluetooth. You can add your Shine-wearing friends as friends on the Shine app and see how they're doing throughout the day.
- Shine gives you fun motivational info, like letting you know when you've met your goal three days in a row and when your friends have met their goals.
- The sleep tracker rules. I had no idea I got such great sleep but my friends don't. It's amazing to see if and when you get deep sleep.
- Your Shine can survive being run over by a car. What, you ask? How would one become aware of this? Well, my Shine fell out of the bracelet (this part is a con) into a store parking lot. I was lucky enough to trace my steps and find it. It had clearly been run over, as it was a little dented and scratched, but it still worked. That pretty much blew my mind.
- Unless you are super lucky, you are probably going to lose your Shine. What do I mean? Well, my friend had hers on the clip and noticed that the whole thing (clip included) disappeared. She traced her steps as much as she could, but with no luck. She had to buy a new one. I was a little luckier, as noted above, but now my Shine is all scratched up, which is a con. Oh yeah, and the friend who lost hers altogether often finds it at the bottom of the pool when she's swimming, so the "don't get lost" mechanisms clearly aren't all there. Update: Griffin now makes new products (see one here) that help you not lose your Shine! Win!!!
- The accuracy is a little wonky. The Shine doesn't capture my my sleep when I nap, and the clock seems to be slightly off. For example, it'll say I exercised until 8:40 when I do a sync at 8:38 after working out, so I know that's not quite right.
- When worn on the wrist, the Shine seems to undercount activity. Like, I took two hours of dance classes and the Shine didn't even tag it as an activity - or give me that many points! I understand that my arms weren't moving as much as my feet, so I understand, but it's something to be aware of when you decide where to wear your Shine.
Would I recommend a Misfit Shine? Yes, as long as you can find a way to ensure that it is 100% secured. I like that you can hide it when you need to and keep it visible when you want to. You can wear it as a bracelet or necklace, or hook it to your clothes, shoes, straps, whatever. It can take a lot of abuse and still work. Really, the main problem is that it's way too easy to lose in a way that its wrist-only competitors are not. So, if you're a very careful person or don't mind buying a few Shines in your lifetime, I highly recommend this product.
If I can make one suggestion, it would be a way for the user to make the Shine light up or vibrate using the app. That way if it's lost somewhere nearby, it could help the user find it more easily. Or maybe a GPS device so a user can locate their Shine if it's missing. (That would have saved me a ton of searching when mine was lost.) Of course, that would have to be heavily password protected and linked to a particular device to prevent people from misusing it, but there's got to be a way.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
Here's what I ordered:
- The skinny slice pizza (which is around 250 calories a slice, which makes me terrified of how many calories are in a regular slice!)
- The crushed tomato type sauce (red sauce, not the marinara)
- Cheese (regular; it didn't give cheese options)
- Veggies: mushrooms and spinach
- Balsamic swirl
- Salted pretzel crust
Here's what happened:
- I tried to find a deal for this pizza, but it only comes in large so it wouldn't fit most of the options. So basically, if I got the less healthy crust, it would have been a lot cheaper. It's possible there was an option I missed, but it didn't seem like I could get this pizza discounted.
- I ordered online and found a coupon code for $5 off. The website accepted it but I was not given the discount. When I called the store, they gave me a line about it applying on my next order. I'm not sure I believe it.
- The pizza arrived and it was delicious. DELICIOUS.
- The pretzel crust was amazing. AMAZING. It was so good. I couldn't get enough.
- The toppings were fresh and generous. I was happy with the amount of veggies.
- The sauce was good but there wasn't enough of it. I wanted to taste more sauce; I barely knew it was there.
- The balsamic swirl was great! It was a nice touch, and it was included in the price.
- While the pizza was good, after the high price and delivery fee, it's not something I can purchase frequently.
My recommendation: try it! This pizza is great. A little overpriced, but worth trying at least once.
So why does Teresa Giudice want our money? Well, she wants to fund her daughter Gia's music video with her band, 3KT. Apparently the horribly inappropriate cover the group did of Britney Spears' Circus didn't get the group signed anywhere, so they want to make a new video on our dime.
So, if you want to contribute to someone who committed fraud in the state of New Jersey, definitely contribute to this Kickstarter. Or don't. Because if you contribute $10, the band will follow you on Instagram. And I hate to say it, but I don't think it's worth it.
Oh yeah, and in terms of other people being hated on, there's a petition out to cancel 19 Kids and Counting. Why? Because of the Duggars' anti-gay stance. 19 Kids and Counting is a tough issue for me. I strongly disagree with the Duggars' anti-gay stance; people, especially ones who can be positive role models for the world, should be supportive of people's differences. But watching the show is a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't agree with all of their beliefs (or many of them at all, really) but the show is fun. We'll see how this one plays out - TLC probably doesn't want to lose another big show at this point.
Monday, November 17, 2014
Jason and Cassia
- Jason took Cassia out to see the area in which she'd be living. She opted to wear very skimpy clothing and went to try on bikinis. Jason worried about the bathing suit being too revealing.
- At Cassia's insistence, Jason tried on a skimpy men's bathing suit.
- Jason had to go out, and Cassia took issue with it - she felt like they should spend more time together.
- Cassia decided to clean the room while Jason was out. She went through the magazines Jason had ready to sell and found a porn magazine. She was mad because she told Jason she didn't want those in the house.
- Cassia decided she didn't trust Jason yet and decided to snoop around the house. She didn't find any other porn magazines.
- Cassia told Jason they need to talk and confronted him about the nude magazine she found. Jason begged Cassia not to bend it because it's worth $10. Jason took Cassia to the other magazines and promised he'd sell them right away.
Danielle and Mohamed
- Mohamed noted that he misses home but Danielle's family makes him feel welcome.
- They looked at wedding venues. Danielle said she wants only close friends and family at the wedding ceremony but everyone at the reception.
- Mohamed was concerned about there being music at the ceremony.
- Danielle didn't tell Mohamed how tight money is because she doesn't want him to worry.
- Danielle's sister and cousin wanted to meet up and discuss the wedding budget. They were concerned about Danielle's ability to afford it.
- Danielle noted that it would cost $1,000 to submit the papers so Mohamed can work.
- Her family was floored - they understood that Danielle was in over her head, financially.
- Danielle said that she worried about Mohamed leaving because of her financial troubles...so she did the obviously ethical thing (just kidding) and didn't tell him about it.
- Her family pointed to the fact that this was a disaster waiting to happen.
- Mohamed found out about past due bills when their cell phones were shut off. Mohamed asked why Danielle didn't tell him the truth about money, and this was not cool because she was lying. Mohamed looked beyond stressed.
- Danielle asked if they could work everything out before the visa. Mohamed said Danielle has to change a lot of things if she wants him to stay. If she can't, he could leave. He said he would never leave because of money but could leave if Danielle withholds information from him.
- Mohamed said they should forget about their problems and start from the beginning.
Justin and Evelin
- Justin and Evelin got more pressure from his family. I expect to see more of this throughout the show, even though I believe this couple is for real.
- Justin's mom asked Justin to meet with his brother, Jake, to make sure everything's okay.
- Justin's mom seemed to accept Evelin; she said once everyone gets to know her, they'll love her.
- Justin met up with his brother. His brother seemed most upset that he'd never heard of Evelin before she arrived as Justin's fiance. And can we blame him, really? Justin did not handle the situation well. At the end of the day, Jake was willing to meet Evelin again, so that was a start.
Danny and Amy
- Danny realized the lack of alone time between the pair put a strain on their relationship. To remedy this, the pair went on an ice skating date.
- Danny talked about his abstinence rules, for example, Amy can't touch his butt.
- They continued with a movie and popcorn date. Danny's brother interrupted. He sat between them. He said he was assuming a fatherly role - he wanted to make sure they stayed safe. He then walked away.
- Amy was clearly disappointed; Danny said he felt like his family is getting in the way of him and Amy.
- Danny set out to talk to Amy about his dad, who lives in Texas. His dad is not comfortable with interracial relationships. He announced that his dad would arrive two days before the wedding and explained his dad's concerns about Amy's race. Danny made it clear that his dad's feelings would have no bearing on his relationship with Amy - he's in it for real. Amy seemed upset about the situation, and understandably so! It's not cool of Danny's dad to judge Amy like that.
Chelsea and Yamir
- Chelsea and Yamir went shopping for wedding tings on a limited budget.
- The pair disagreed on ring preferences but ultimately agreed that they'd both get what they want - Chelsea would get an old ring and Yamir would get a new one.
- Yamir worried about his band. He talked to his bandmate, Franky, and found out someone substituted him in the band's concert. This was not okay because he planned to return for concerts.
- Yamir sent a message to Gabriel to see what's going on. He was very upset by the situation.
- Gabriel emailed Yamir back and blamed him for ruining the band, essentially. He said the band was over because of Yamir's choices. Ouch.
- Chelsea worried about Yamir's feelings but he said he was happy with Chelsea.
Monday, November 10, 2014
Danielle and Mohamed:
- Danielle and her daughters went to choose a wedding dress within a $500 budget. This was the first time she's done this. One of Danielle's daughters felt excited because Danielle was excited.
- Danielle loved a dress but it was above her budget because money's tight and Mohamed can't work.
- Danielle reached in to give Mohamed a kiss, and he offered his cheek. If you weren't already convinced that Mohamed isn't into Danielle, this should prove it.
- Mohamed went for a walk and found some people playing football. He joined them. They taught him how to play. Mohamed seemed confused about why football was called football because it doesn't use feet. (I'm pretty sure this goes back to football actually being soccer and the Americans screwing it up.) Mohamed joined his new friends for a drink.
- Mohamed talked to his new friends who told him that guys in America can meet girls and hook up with them right away.
- One girl was flirting with Mohamed but to his credit, he seemed disinterested. He had never experienced something like what the girl was doing and wasn't into it. He liked that Danielle wasn't like that.
Amy and Danny:
- Amy and Danny looked at wedding venues. You could tell Amy wanted some alone time with Danny, but he'd invited family to join them.
- Danny's friends offered up their farmhouse for their wedding and the couple liked it.
- Amy noted that Danny will have to step back a little from his family so they can have some time to themselves.
- Danny got Amy for church. Danny took a shower on his own and that reminded Amy that they'd taken a vow of abstinence, so that was tough. They went together for premarital counseling, which was required by the church.
- Danny felt pressured because he felt like Amy's only support system since she moved from her friends and family. Danny was told that his attention needs to be taken from other places and moved to Amy.
- What was up with Danny's outfit in this scene? Very interesting, and not in a good way.
Jason and Cassia:
- Jason flew to Rio to meet Cassia (who is 23 and from Brazil) although they had been fighting.
- Jason was concerned about Cassia showing up because he'd have nowhere to stay if she didn't. He said he'd fly back alone if he had to.
- He didn't have to worry though, because Cassia was there to meet him. Jason was relieved.
- Cassia explained to the cameras that she and Jason were fighting about him having time for her, but it was silly because they'd put so much into the relationship.
- Just as a side note, I didn't love the coloration in Cassia's hair - what did you think?
- Jason brought Cassia to meet his father. Jason's father said he heard Cassia doesn't like clowns, so he dressed up as one to meet her. She handled it well and seemed to be confused if it was some kind of American tradition. (I guess she passed the first test!)
- Jason showed Cassia his messy bedroom and Cassia was appalled. He said it was a work in progress. He also showed Cassia the green pool.
- Cassia said the house was pretty but she didn't like the floor - I think it had to do with part of the floor being wood and part being tile. Unfortunately, they had just put in the floors.
- Cassia noted that people in the town looked older and she'd have trouble making friends. She seemed confused by the salad bar Jason took her to.
- Cassia asked Jason when she can start modeling. He asked if that's a good idea. She said she wants to do bikini modeling.
- Cassia asked Jason what would happen if the pair decided not to get married or she doesn't like America. She asked if he'd move to Brazil.
Brett and Daya:
- Brett and his mom had a chat. His mom was concerned that Brett was so happy to see Daya but she didn't seem as excited.
- Brett said he was concerned about Daya questioning the ring. His mom agreed. Brett told her in frustration that if the diamond is fake, they'll get her a new one.
- Brett's mom was concerned that if Daya isn't happy with the ring, she'll be unhappy with other things.
- The pair went to get the diamond on Daya's ring appraised. She told the cameras that she wasn't doing it because she cares if the ring is fake, but she knows Brett works hard and she wouldn't want him to be embarrassed and want them to be embarrassed in front of her friends. She said she was protecting Brett's reputation. WHAT?!?!? She was doing a serious cover up with this one after her awful behavior.
- Brett told the woman that there was a black speck in the diamond, which made Daya feel that it was fake. Brett knew it was real, but he was still nervous about what would happen if it's not. (Don't diamonds have natural imperfections, by the way? Fake ones would be much more perfect.) It turns out the diamond was real but it was a lower grade because of the imperfection. Daya seemed sort of happy but said she still didn't like the diamond.
Chelsea and Yamir:
-Yamir was nervous and anxious. He'd never lived outside of Nicaragua.
- The couple would be moving in with Chelsea's parents in the midwest.
- Yamir felt as if this was the only option, which is interesting because really, it's not, but I guess it was if he wanted to be with Chelsea.
- Yamir would have some adjustment from a tough city to a sleepy rural town.
- Amy and Yamir were shown to the basement, where they'd be living. In Nicaragua, there were no basements. He was surprised by how cold it was down there.
- The family sat down for dinner, and Chelsea's parents asked what they'd do for jobs. Chelsea's mom said they have a meat packing plant nearby that hires Latinos. Chelsea hoped Yamir understood that as he should take work that is available, not considering it as a comment about his ethnicity.
- Yamir said he does want to work in music but understands that his career won't instantly translate overseas.
- Chelsea took Yamir to an open mic night and hoped he would want to perform. Yamir was surprised by how different music was than what he was used to.
And that was today's episode! More to come next week.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
If you are wondering who this band named after three karat diamonds is, it is comprised of Gia Giudice (Teresa Giudice of Real Housewives of New Jersey's daughter) and her "two BFFs" - aka a 16 year old and 14 year old that 13 year old Gia probably had never met before coming together to record this hot mess.
|Image from Starcasm.net|
Anyway, this video is no more than contrived music with the typical pop structure (it is a Britney Spears song, after all) with a rap part added in. And as much as it's being advertised as Gia's band, she hardly seems to do anything, aside from dance around with way too much makeup and way too few clothes, and have a discussion with little sister Milania at the end. The part with Milania was actually cute, sweet and appropriate, but that was about the only endearing thing about the video. Alexa Maetta and Christianna Cardinale seem to be the real 'talent' of the band.
I did like the part where the main singer raps about her age or something like that, basically saying not to discount her because she young. The best part about it is that she rapped age with "minimum wage" which is pretty much a slap in the face who work hard for their money, yet still actually pay their bills (ahem, Giudice problems).
So, want to see this hot mess for yourself? Just remember to keep all of your thoughts completely clean - these are just CHILDREN. And this is hardly appropriate. But that's cool; I guess money and fame are more important.
Monday, November 3, 2014
Why Babies R Us is right:
- Babies R Us is getting a ton of publicity from this woman's petition. I had no idea there was a Kardashian baby clothing line until this controversy. And while Babies R Us could pull the clothes off the shelves, they'd lose a ton of money, because you can be sure that the clothes are now flying off the shelves and the company is making a ton of money.
- I doubt anyone would blink an eye at the baby designs if they didn't have the Kardashian name attached to them. The outfits don't look terribly inappropriate, really, and babies are, well, babies. Put a miniskirt on a baby and it's still a baby outfit that the kid will never remember wearing.
- If you don't want to shop at Babies R Us, the company doesn't care. For every non-shopper, there's another potential client.
- People bought baby Juicy Couture clothes and that brand is known for being sexy too, like writing the word Juicy on pants. This brand gets hated on just because it's created by Kardashians.
Why Anti-Kardashian mom is right:
- Kardashians have worked their way into so much of society, and enough is enough. We are supporting a family that is famous simply for being famous. We are allowing someone who is famous for a sex tape to create clothes for babies. Something's a little weird about that.
- Kardashians are not good role models. You really don't want your kids associating the brand name with the actual people. While these clothes are for babies, there are plenty of Kardashian clothes for kids to grow into, and that could be entering dangerous territory.
- Toys R Us pulled Breaking Bad toys because they promoted drug use and this line promotes the things the Kardashians stand for, which, like noted above, include sex tapes. My guess is the Breaking Bad toys weren't big sellers but this line sells like crazy.
What do you think?
Want to know what's in this line of clothing? You can see the clothing line here, on Babies R Us' website.
Sunday, November 2, 2014
Amy & Danny:
- Amy met Danny's brother and sister-in-law, who she was living with. It looked like it was successful. She was told everything is 20 or 25 minutes away.
- Danny's family and friends was coming to meet Amy, who was sad to be away from her family and cried while video chatting with her mom.
- Everyone seemed to be happy to meet Amy, although Amy seemed overwhelmed meeting so many people.
- At dinner, Amy was asked if she was afraid of the wedding night. You know what that means. Awkward!
- Amy only met part of Danny's family at this initial meal - she hadn't yet met Danny's parents. He was concerned about this because his dad doesn't believe in interracial dating.
Jason & Cassia:
- Jason, 38, lives in Florida with his dad and a bunch of dogs.
- Cassia's from Brazil. Jason and Cassia met online when Cassia was dating someone Jason had known, but when it ended, she approached Jason about a relationship.
- Jason noted that Cassia can be jealous and possessive. Her temperament could be the end of their relationship. This was evidenced by the pair's fighting. Jason's dad was concerned.
- Cassia complained that Jason wasn't making time for her.
- Jason was concerned that Cassia wouldn't be there when he arrived in Rio to meet her (which was fair, because she threatened to not show up at the airport).
- Jason brought an engagement ring for Cassia. The way they'd become engaged was Cassia telling Jason to change his Facebook status to engaged.
Brett & Daya:
- The pair took a long car ride to meet Brett's daughter, Cassidy. Daya reacted well to seeing America.
- Brett had told Cassidy that she and Daya would be best friends. Daya worried about being an instant mom. Cassidy would be staying with the pair for a month.
- Daya met Cassidy and Chanel, Cassidy's mom. Cassidy was practically glued to her mom.
- In my opinion, this was crazy - Daya just arrived and Brett immediately took her to meet his daughter? That's too soon for Daya and the daughter! How can Brett and Daya get to know each other if they have a kid around? And how will it affect Cassidy if they break up?
- Brett's mom came for a few days to help out.
- Because there were no extra rooms in the house, Cassidy would be sharing a room with Brett and Daya. Brett admitted that there could have been a better plan.
- Brett went to work and left Daya and Cassidy to hang out, along with Brett's mom. Daya showed everyone her wedding dress. Cassidy helped her with it and Daya was happy, but then she was upset when Cassidy said she didn't want to be a flower girl in the wedding.
Danielle and Mohamed:
- Mohamed went to dinner with Danielle's family. He noted that Danielle's family may be skeptical of his intentions, so he wanted to prove otherwise. Then he smiled this weird smile that made me not trust him at all.
- Mohamed revealed that he doesn't eat meat. Danielle's family was shocked and Mohamed had to explain his religious beliefs.
- Danielle's brother Paul noted that he doesn't trust Mohamed - usually people in love hold hands and stuff, and Mohamed seemed to create distance.
Justin & Evelin:
- Justin took Evelin to meet his family.
- Evelin was afraid to meet Justin's sister in law because she'd heard things about her that weren't great.
- Justin had told his family he was on a dating show so they didn't know that he was bringing a fiance...this is scandalous!
- Justin broke the news - Evelin's his fiance. The looks on everyone's faces went crazy. They were shocked. Obviously they were confused and skeptical.
- Evelin was asked her intentions. She said she wants to make Justin happy, and Justin's mom said she believed her. The question and answer session began and Evelin handled it so well. Justin ended up walking away.
- The other family members did not seem convinced that Evelin wasn't using Justin for a green card.
- Jason was upset that his family wasn't happy and excited to meet Evelin, while Evelin's family was happy to meet him. But what did he expect? He sprung this whole engagement thing on them! Of course they were surprised!
- Justin said he and Evelin should go off on their own to get married, but Evelin said it was important to have family there.
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
On the post, commenters said that Mohamed looked like he didn't care at all for Danielle. He looked empty. Also, his Facebook page shows pretty much nothing of Danielle, but does show a ton of pictures of himself.
I also found it to be a red flag that Mohamed used religion as an excuse not to have sex with Danielle until marriage. If this was such a big issue, wouldn't Mohamed be marrying someone of the same faith as his own?
A poster on the message board said everyone, even TLC, tried to stop the wedding because they could see right through it. But Danielle couldn't be convinced, and reportedly, Danielle and Mohamed are married at this time. Also reportedly, Danielle has been evaluated for being unstable, which supports evidence that she may have been easily manipulated by Mohamed.
One thing I won't hate on that others did is that Mohamed said Danielle is "acceptable" for him. While that was hardly a compliment, I'm going to chalk that one up to the language barrier. It's like us saying we had "fine food" - to someone who doesn't understand English, it would sound like an average review, rather than stating that food is high end.
What do you think of the Mohamed and Danielle pairing? It drives me absolutely crazy. Danielle worked tons of overtime to pay for Mohamed to come to the states,so he paid nothing and is getting all of the benefits. Also per the Facebook group, Danielle and Mohamed are looking for sponsors for his visa or something, so now she's not only paying for Mohamed, but getting others to do so as well.
Sunday, October 26, 2014
Justin and Evelin:
-Justin taught Evelin to drive.
-Justin took her to meet his friend Matt.
-Evelin made it known that she wants to meet Justin's family.
-Justin bashed his sister in law, Jennifer, on camera, and said she's critical of people Justin dates.
-Justin told the camera that he thinks the best way to get married is to elope.
Danny and Amy:
-Danny is a construction worker from Pennsylvania. He is the youngest of seven children.
-Amy, 21, and Danny met in Australia, although she's from South Africa.
-Their friendship grew quickly into love.
-Amy will live with Danny's brother and sister in law until they are married. Danny's committed to being a virgin until marriage.
-Amy was concerned about fitting in with Danny's family. Danny's father doesn't believe in interracial marriage.
-Danny worried about Amy being alone all day and 45 minutes away from him.
-Jake and Timmy, Danny's friends, took him to the airport to get Amy. They had a great reunion.
-Amy was concerned that she and Danny can't be together as much as she'd like.
Brett and Daya:
-Daya stated that she wasn't convinced that her ring was real. This did not make a great impression on Brett's mom.
-Daya liked Brett's place but wasn't thrilled about the roommate situation.
-Daya said she's nervous about meeting Brett's daughter Cassidy but can't wait to be a family.
-Brett tried to impress Daya after the disastrous airport greeting. Daya seemed much happier.
-Daya still seemed somewhat fake, and was still concerned about the fake diamond issue.
Danielle and Mohamed:
-Mohamed said he likes Danielle because he's honest and he plans to get married and get a job.
-Danielle's daughters seemed to feel okay about Mohamed once they saw him interact with Danielle.
-Mohamed said due to his religion, there would be no sex until marriage, but he did want to get married soon.
-Danielle took Mohamed to meet her son Corey. Corey pulled Mohamed aside and said he's concered about him scamming Danielle.
Chelsea and Yamir:
-At a press conference, Yamir's manager announced that Yamir and Chelsea would be getting married, which embarrassed Chelsea. He said that he didn't know what it would mean for the group. Yamir was also upset about the manager, Gabriel, stating that Yamir was leaving for the United States.
-Chelsea fretted about her decision to move Yamir to the US.
That's it for this week. We'll see what next week brings!
I settled in to watch Iggy Azalea's performance on SNL with low expectations. Which was great because if I even had neutral expectations, I would have been disappointed. First and foremost, Iggy Azalea's performance was so....canned. That's the only way I can describe it. There was no variation in her tone versus what's rapped in her songs. There was no creativity. No inspiration. I could have listened to the radio for the exact same effect.
Secondly, her performance left just about everything to be desired. Where was the dancing? The creative movement? The use of the stage? The most interesting thing about her performance was everyone else. Guest singer Rita Ora's vocals, in comparison, did not disappoint. Iggy looked like a robot who was told to move around with Rita. Iggy bounced around in a skimpy outfit, utilizing her looks to carry her performance.
A while back, I read about the racial controversy sounding Iggy Azalea. I thought it was silly because talent is talent, regardless of ethnicity. However, I kind of get some of the anger now - people were upset because Iggy is being hailed as the great new rapper, but she's just...not. I don't think this should be a racial thing (because things really shouldn't be), but I can certainly see how people are concerned with Iggy not being representative of rap culture because she's just not that great. And her dancing relies heavily on sexual movement and booty shaking - showing that sexuality can shine beyond talent in the music industry. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that Iggy Azalea is not talented at all, because it's clear that she is. She definitely can rap. But her performance comes off as so standardized, almost like she's a marionette going through the movements. This is in contrast to performances like Ariana Grande's, in which her song was performed differently than the album version and she truly shined on the SNL stage.
Overall, I'm unimpressed. I expected more from her live performance, but I guess SNL knew viewers would be underwhelmed, so they armed Iggy Azalea with guest singers and distracting (and talented, mind you) dancers in the foreground of her performance.
By the way...way to not hug Rita Ora back and make it look like you were blowing her off, Iggy. Then again, all of the pair's interactions looked forced (this site agrees) so this is unsurprising. And the whole second song was a vocal disaster, although the band Iggy performed with blames this on technical issues. (Hello, Ashlee Simpson flashback.)
On a positive note, Iggy did participate in an SNL sketch, so she went above just her musical numbers, so I do give credit for this.
Thursday, October 23, 2014
This has gotten pretty awful. I understand that Leah's under a lot of stress, having three young girls at home (Ali, Aleeah and Addalynn), but the girls should be a reason to stay clean and not break up her marriage by cheating.
Hopefully Leah will get the help she needs and can be a great mom to her daughters. We will see, though - only time will tell.
I read this stuff in many places, but if you're looking for some juicy news, check out The Ashley's Reality Roundup. It's great.
Sunday, October 19, 2014
Evelin and Justin met up at the airport, and they seemed so genuinely happy. This is a couple I definitely believe is 100% real. Both were giddy and so excited to be together. This looks like a couple that will be a success.
On day two, the reality kicked in for Evelin. She talked about the kitchen being dirty but Justin insisted that he had to watch a game on TV. Justin showed Evelin all of cleaning supplies, but Evelin was clear that she did not come here to be a Cinderella. His bachelor life was over. Evelin was also concerned that she was kept a secret because she wanted to meet Justin's family.
Danielle, 41, from Norwalk, Ohio and Mohamed, 26 are a strange coupling. Danielle has a job she loves but doesn't pay much. She has three teenage daughters. She went online to meet new people and that's how she met Mohamed from Tunisia. They'd talked for 4 or 5 months (and met in person for two weeks) before Mohamed proposed, and while Danielle was initially skeptical, she said yes. She worked extra hours and saved up a bunch of money to fly Mohamed in.
On the anticipated day of Mohamed's arrival, he was being taken back to the JFK airport because his money hasn't been converted to American money (or something) and Danielle hadn't heard from him since. She was concerned that he was going to miss his flight. When Danielle called, she couldn't reach Mohamed. She said her fear was that Mohamed was just here for the visa and now he'd disappear. Danielle asked her kids if she should go to the airport in case he is arriving, and they said yes.
Danielle's brother and sister in law, Jamie and Arica, came to visit. They seemed concerned that Mohamed could be taking advantage of Danielle's caring nature. They arrived an hour late at the airport and couldn't find Mohamed. Then, they found someone with a brown jacket who they thought could be Mohamed. Danielle walked towards his with determination, and it turns out she was right. The couple embraced. Mohamed seemed genuinely happy to see Danielle.
I will say, I've been skeptical of couples from season one and may have been wrong. However, I don't believe this coupling for one second. Mohamed is 26. Danielle is 41 and has 3 kids. Why did she fund his entire trip? Why didn't he pitch in? I think he sees a way into the states and a meal ticket. I would be shocked if Mohamed is legit.
Brett, 31 and Daya, 29 were next. Brett's from Washington and Daya is from the Philippines. He lives with two roommates who are around his mother's age. He has a six year old daughter named Cassidy who primarily lives with her mom in Montana, but spends summer breaks with him. The pair met on an international dating site. He looked in the Philippines because the women there have good values. Brett felt like he was too boring for someone like Daya, but when they met in the Philippines, there were sparks, and he proposed five days later.
Brett said Daya is very particular, so Brett's roommate helped him get ready for her by cleaning up his room. Brett fretted about the colors of his room being okay for Daya because she loves the color pink and he would not like to have a pink room.
Brett discussed how his roommate is supportive of his relationship, but another friend Sue was concerned that all of the pictures she's seen of Daya have been scantily clad or of her drinking. She said that many women from Asian countries come here then end up divorced. Sue did say she's willing to meet Daya which made Brett happy.
Brett bought roses for Daya's arrival. Well, he thought he was getting roses. He ended up with a beautiful bouquet, but not entirely made of roses. He hoped he hadn't told her he'd be bringing roses. He was late and Daya was waiting. The first thing she did when Brett arrived was make him get her luggage. Then they hugged. And then she questioned why Brett got her mixed flowers when she said she likes roses. Then she said she loved Brett. I just don't know about this couple. It seems like Daya is very into Daya. We will see how this plays out.
Chelsea, 25, is from Illinois. While there, she met Yamir, 28, who is a pop star in Nicaragua. If he moved to the US, he'll give up his career. His group, Myla Vox, invented the idea of pop stars in Nicaragua. Chelsea said life in Nicaragua is tough so she thought coming to the US is a better choice. Yamir would be giving up everything but he says Chelsea is worth it. Chelsea really seemed to struggle with her choice of bringing Yamir to America because she worried about being selfish.
Yamir spent his last day in Nicaragua recording with his band. Gabriel, the band's manager, was frustrated because the band was about to release an album and celebrate, and then Yamir broke the news about leaving. Yamir said his move will open doors for the band but Gabriel was skeptical, which he let Chelsea know via a note. Yamir was so respectful when Gabriel pulled Chelsea and Yamir aside. He said everything was his fault for not communicating properly with Gabriel. Gabriel broke down in tears and it seems like he really is concerned - he said that Yamir is going to the middle of America, not speaking any English, and not being around people who understand his culture. He genuinely did seem concerned, and admitted that Yamir needed someone like Chelsea, but he was frustrated because Yamir could be wasting his talent.
Season 2 of 90 Day Fiance is looking pretty good! I can't wait to meet the other couples on the next episode.
I would never say that My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding is a positive thing for American Gypsies. It, along with Gypsy Sisters, paints a pr...
On February 17, 2012, TLC aired an episode of Four Weddings that featured four women with very different visions for their weddings. From ...
In July 2009, I wrote an open letter to Jamie Sterling, mother of AshLynn and BreAnne Sterling, the twins featured on Toddlers and Tiaras. ...